Sapwood + Soot creates tree ring prints using real tree cross-sections, also called tree cookies. While our specialty is personalized family tree ring prints, we create these ink and paper original and one-of-a-kind prints as well. Each of our hand-pressed prints is created using a piece of actual wood that has been salvaged, high quality paper created following sustainable forest management standards, and professional-grade print-making ink. We distress the pieces of wood so their growth rings become more exposed, and we then spread ink onto the wood and hand-press a piece of paper on top. The ink used is thick and rich, and adds a layer of texture. No two original ink and paper prints are the same. There may be imperfections with original prints, but we think that adds to the character.
This print would make a perfect gift for a housewarming, birthday, holiday, anniversary, or just because.
We aim to be as sustainable as possible in the creation of our personalized tree ring prints and we source salvaged wood for our prints. This tree ring print was created manually from a yew tree that was removed from property due to residential development.
This listing includes three different 9x12 inch prints.
PLEASE NOTE this listing is for an original ink and paper tree ring impression print. The paper may have creases due to the print-making process. This print is NOT framed.
Keywords: gift, hand made, wedding gift, nursery decor, home decor, housewarming gift
3-5 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Request a cancellation within: 2 days of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
To fulfil your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorised Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. We require additional personal information for each custom order (i.e., last name, first names, and birth years).
Why We Need Your Information and How We Use It
We rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide my services, such as when we use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about our customers is important to my business. We share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. We engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to our shop, such as delivery companies. We will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If we sell or merge my business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Yes! After we acquire some wood, we prepare the wood surface for printmaking and create original prints using a little elbow grease and ink.
Our source trees are trees that have been cut down for a different purpose. Several of our source trees were reaching the end of their life span and were cut down because they had become a safety hazard for the immediate area around them.
Each ring of a tree represents a different growth year, with the centre of the tree being the oldest ring, and the outermost ring being the youngest. Sometimes the rings can be difficult to distinguish and there may be some inaccuracies in years, but our process ensures we do our best to count the rings as accurately as possible to give you our best product.
We currently have prints that are 38, 77, 102, and 117 years old available.
Some of our tree prints are true-to-size, but others are too large for standard poster sizes and have been scaled down. This will not affect the results of your print.
We currently only sell digital downloads and paper prints. We would love to hear from you if you would like to see our art on a different medium!
We outsource our printing to a company who has manufacturing facilities in Canada and other countries.
We print on museum-quality thick and durable matte paper. Each poster is giclée-printed on archival, acid-free paper that yields brilliant prints to brighten up any room.
Paper thickness: 10.3 mil
Paper weight: 5.57 oz/y² (189 g/m²)
Giclée printing quality
ISO brightness: 104%
Blank product sourced from Japan
Our prints wouldn’t be possible without two things: trees or ink.
Trees are actually quite sophisticated, and a tree trunk is made up of different structural components. The rings of a tree are easily distinguishable in the sapwood, which is the component that allows the flow of water and minerals from the roots to the leaves.
We use ink to create our original prints. Ink has origins from charcoal or soot from fires.
Hence the name, Sapwood and Soot.
No problem! We have a few different solutions. You can either choose the same colour for the people born on the same year, or you can choose different colours and the ring will be split for each colour.